Faith Formation for Children
The purpose of Faith Formation is to teach the truths of the Catholic faith, learn to apply them to our daily lives and grow closer to God. We will use a variety of experiences to make our faith come alive for the children and youth of St. Edward.
- All children will participate in classes on Sunday mornings after the 9:00 am Mass. Children begin preparation for Penance and Communion in grade 1. A two year preparation program is required by the diocese.
- We are changing our model this year. Rather than a classroom model we will use a plan which uses both large and small groups, moving between both to vary activities and learning strategies. Overall, we will work within this framework: Gather; Engage/Instruct; Respond. Parents are encouraged top participate in the Gather time of each class.
- Grades 1-5 will be together in the hall; grades 6-7 in the music room and Confirmation (grade 8) in the guild room.
- Parents will be invited for specific classes when we teach about the Sacraments, which is our theme for this year.
- Confirmation Preparation begins in grade 7 and ends in grade 8. Youth enrolled in Catholic school must attend classes here at St. Edward in grade 8 to be confirmed in grade 9. Confirmation will take place early in 9th grade.
- Roman Catholic School families should register 2nd graders for First Penance and First Communion in the parish. 8th graders also need to register for immediate Confirmation preparation.
Children's Liturgy of the Word: there is no registration or fee for this program.
- Children should be at least 4 years old to attend.
- Children in grades 1 – 5 are to participate in the Children’s Liturgy of the Word during the 9:00 am Mass.
Our children's choir is directed by Maralyn Coscia and sings at the 9:00 a.m. Mass every Sunday from late September to May. Rehearsals are held on Wednesday afternoons at 4:00 p.m. in the Music Room of the parish hall. You are welcome to come as early as 3:00 p.m. for homework time before choir rehearsal.
On the second Sunday of each month, October -May, the children and youth of the parish have the opportunity to serve as lectors, ushers and gift bearers at the 9:00 a.m. Mass. We routinely ask those enrolled in our faith formation classes but welcome participation from all children adn youth. If you would like to participate, please contact Deanna Bartalini, (faithformation (at)stedward(dot)com) or 561-832-0400 to let her know.